Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A New Year and Trying Something New

It's 2015...already!!!  While the years seem to pass much more quickly than they used to (I'm getting older and I guess that's what all of us older folks say,) but 2015???  It's hard to imagine.  Which brings me to my new experimentation with photographic graphics.  Or abstract art, or whatever you wish to call it.  It's winter and it is very cold outside.  This is the time of year that I go back over photos I have taken in the past year to see what I can do with them that is new and interesting.  Today may be the day I really find something new.  Light painting!  But wait!  Light painting is not new.  Well maybe not, but let's say it is what I am doing to photos of previous light painting that is new.

Here is the first one:


I started with just a simple basic light painting photo.  This particular one, and all of the ones I will be using for right now, is light painting from my Christmas tree this past holiday season.  Since I have never done anything else with light paintings other than just that, I started out with the basics that came with my Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro X5 or version 15 if you like that name better.  This first one below was using Artistic Effects, Neon Glow.


This second photo took the first one (without the watermarks) and I started working with filters that I downloaded off the internet.  This one below used Mirror Offset from the filter group called Alf's Power Toys.  I was pleasantly surprised with the result.  This gives me the confidence to believe I am walking into new territory and on the right path.


 Now that I know that this idea is going to work out, let's see what else we can come up with.  I will tell you what I am doing with each step so you can try it yourself.  Obviously there will never be any two results that look the same because your light painting efforts cannot possibly duplicate mine.  I would love to see what you might end up with if you try this, too.






For the photo above, I used the same group of Alf's Power Toys and selected Split Distortion for the filter.  I liked many of the various results on the filter, but decided on this one to share.  This was #32 on the slider.

I have recently downloaded several new filter groups so the ones I am using and showing you today, I have not used before, other than the first which was neon glow.  But that came with the original product.  All of these other filters are first time uses for me today.  So I have no idea what to expect.





For this one above, I used the filter group, which only has one filter, called Radial Zig-Zag.  It had sliders and this is the one I chose.  Have fun with this if you try it.

Okay, I am off to find out what else I can do with my light paintings and my many filters.  I do hope you try this for yourself.  I am sure the results will amaze you as they are amazing me. 

Happy New Year!!!
 



No comments: