Monday, March 24, 2008

.mov Files to .avi Files Help Needed!

Okay, this video issue is getting more and more frustrating. From what I have learned from Kodak is that to get the sound to work on the videos once they are burned to CD, I have to convert them from the original .mov files to .avi files. I don't know how to do that. I have been checking online about conversion program downloads (the shareware free programs) and the more I read, the more confused I get. Probably the process isn't so difficult once I have the right program. But it is trying to select the right one that is frustrating me the most. I don't understand all the techie terminology. All I know is that I want these videos to be burned to CD or DVD and for them to work as perfectly as they do on my computer! Is that such a difficult request?

Before you say that I got a bad camera, from what I am reading about this, most, if not all digital cameras that have the video option make the videos in the .mov file format. So what does that mean? Are the camera companies somehow connected with the companies that make the conversion programs? And if the camera companies know that this is going to be a problem, why do they not include the conversion programs along with the other camera software? After all, what is the point of making videos with the cameras and having the sound included in the video on the camera if that same sound is not going to be available once the video is burned to a CD or DVD? Basically, any kind of backup you make from your computer of these video files will not be complete backups unless the files are converted before the backup. AND...one place I was reading about the conversions say that the sound may not come out right after the conversion. ?????????? Another said that the conversion increased the size of the files tremendously, while yet another one said it made the file size much smaller, but the picture was not so good.

So, what is it with the camera companies? Does anyone out there know what is going on and how to fix this problem?

No comments: